Swajal is a community owned drinking water programme for sustained drinking water supply. Under the scheme, 90% of the project cost will be taken care by the Government and the remaining 10% of the project cost will be contributed by the community. The Operations and management of the project will be taken care by the local villagers. Besides ensuring round-the-year the availability of clean drinking water to every household, the project would also generate employment for locals.
“Swajal” is designed as a demand driven and community centred program to provide sustainable access to drinking water to people in rural areas.
In first phase, it is proposed to select pilot project district in six States, viz., Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan & Bihar under NRDWP. This will be implemented through convergence of other programmes like MGNREGS, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, National Project for Repair, Renovation & Restoration (RRR) of Water Bodies etc. The districts are to be identified by the States to start the project formulation in fast track mode.
The Union Drinking Water and Sanitation minister had launched the first project in Uttarakhand’s Uttarkashi district and second project at Bhikampura village in Rajasthan this february (2018).
Rationale of Swajal Yojna
• Partnership between village communities, NGOs and the government as the facilitator and co-financing has worked successfully.
• The possibility of misappropriating and misusing the funds becomes minimal if transparency at each stage is adhered and monitored by stakeholders.
• Empowerment of PRIs is a viable and sustainable option for scaling up the decentralized service delivery model.
• The change from a supply based model to demand based model requires a new mind set and investment at different levels for acceptance of the new model.
• Good facilitation and appropriate techniques have to be put in place in community management model.
• Some form of external support to communities is imperative to ensure long term sustainability.
Try this Quiz
1. Consider the following statements about Swajal Yojna.
- It aims at ensuring employment.
- Operations and management of the project will be taken care by respective state government.
Identify the correct options from the following code
A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. Both 1 and 2
D. None of the above
Source: PIB, MINISTRY OF DRINKING WATER AND SANITATION